Website North Creek Nurseries
North Creek is dedicated to growing and selling plants that enhance sustainable outdoor environments while benefiting people and the planet. North Creek strives to promote sustainable outdoor environments. As a wholesale plant propagation nursery, we specialize in growing starter plants / plugs of perennials, ornamental grasses, ferns, vines, and shrubs with an emphasis on Eastern US native plants. Our plants are used by wholesale growers and landscape contractors. Our vision is to be a leader in the development and practice of sustainable horticultural systems while delighting our customers.
Job Summary: The Plant Trials Vegetable Gardener is responsible for maintaining the vegetable gardens, communicating with other departments as needed, and distribution of produce on both farms.
Position Type: Full-time required (40 hours/week) with opportunities to work additional hours as needed to accomplish goals and objectives—up to 60 hours/week seasonally, including weekends during busy season (March-June and August-September); position requires employees to be prepared to work in all weather conditions (rain or shine)
- Select, cultivate, and rotate a diverse, unique, and relevant selection of vegetable and crops throughout the growing season
- Harvest, wash, and distribute high quality produce from gardens in an efficient, safe manner
- Ensure the overall health of vegetable gardens by watering, fertilizing (including mixing and measuring) applying food-safe herbicides, and taking other steps as needed
- Work to extend the growing season to provide nutrient rich food year-round
- Perform vegetable garden maintenance tasks such as routine weeding, planting, scouting, tilling, mulching, etc.
- Light carpentry/construction skills: working knowledge or ability to learn to install trellises and other structures as needed
- Working knowledge of local produce grown; sharing knowledge with staff/users through education including but not limited to harvest, storage, preserving, cooking/recipes, etc.
- Implement a seed saving strategy among desirable crops from season to season
- Participate and/or be actively involved in the local agriculture community to bring together resources and assets of North Creek to promote a culture of health and wellness with community-based partners (e.g., local food bank)
- Maintain proper, organized inventory levels of tools/equipment, materials, and supplies used day to day
- Assist other departments, primarily Plant Trials & Gardens, when available
Required Knowledge / Skills:
- General vegetable gardening knowledge, including plant and pest identification
- Current undergraduate student of horticulture or a related field with a background and interest in garden maintenance desired but not required
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English
- Must be able to do simple math calculations and conversions
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Experience in pesticide application or desire to learn
- Be able to obtain and maintain a PA Pesticide applicator’s license, continuing education as required
- Ability to operate farm machinery and equipment (tractor, tiller, row maker/mulch layer, line trimmer, electric golf cart, etc.) or desire to learn
- Ability, proper use, and maintenance of tools (e.g., pruners, shears, knives, etc.) or desire to learn
- Possess good time management and organizational skills, with ability to prioritize assigned tasks
- Ability to work with team in the completion of gardening tasks
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.